Description and Details
We are delighted to have acquired and offer this wonderful Georgian solid silver gilt tea caddy made by Samuel Taylor in London, 1753.
This tea caddy presents the arms for Heathcote (quartering Rayner) with an escutcheon of a Baronet (symbolised by the left "Hand of Ulster").
The arms are most probably for Sir Gilbert Heathcote, 3rd Baronet of Normanton Park, Ruland or his brother John Heathcote of Conington Castle, Huntingdon.
The entire caddy is fully gilt with a rich and lustrous tone of gold that glistens magnificently under natural light.
The bulbous form of the caddy is embellished by asymmetric Rococo ornamentations of writhen fluting, chased flowers and foliate motifs - overall a very attractive and majestic piece.
The lid sits on top with a good tight closure and an artichoke finial to aid with its opening. Later piercings are present on the top to allow for the caddy to be used also as a sugar caster.
The caster is fully hallmarked to the base and partially to the lid with English hallmarks.
With such heraldic interest and opulence in its design, it would certainly grace a collection of antique wares or serve as a distinct yet practical piece of silverware in a luxurious dining setting due to its distinguishing gold-tone and versatile design.
- A pair of silver-gilt dishes with Heathcote Coat of Arms were sold at Christie's for £15,000 on the 17th Nov 2009 (lot 276) (https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5261782)
- Another example with Heathcote's arms: A pair of silver-gilt boxes which are now in The Metropolitan Museum of Art. (https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/236590)
*All images with other wares are for display purposes only - these pieces may be purchased separately.
- Size (mm) H:145mm W:85mm
- Size (inches) H:5.70 W:3.34
- Weight: 280 grams (9.9 oz)
Excellent Condition - The caddy is in excellent antique condition with no major damage or issues. Only some very minor gilding loss on some high points as expected with its age. Please refer to the photographs to examine the condition in further detail.
Artisan Antiques offers a Global Free Shipping Service with discreet packaging and delivery. We will always ensure you receive the item and see the delivery through to the end.
*All parcels are insured - all shipping liabilities other than import/customs duty, are covered by Artisan Antiques.
*Colours of the product may slightly differ from the photos due to different computer screens & lighting conditions*
- Price negotiations may be possible under certain criteria, please contact us via telephone (07578761640) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) -